Who We Are
Alamo Commutes provides complimentary consultations to businesses starting or enhancing their commuter benefits programs. We are a free program provided by the Alamo Area Metropolitan Planning Organization.
What We Do
We make it easy for your employees to choose sustainable, affordable, and healthy ways to get to work. We consult with employers on how to support diverse transportation modes, take advantage of tax benefits, and promote transportation alternatives.
As a free service, we work with you to customize, create and easily administer employee transportation benefits. Our client-serving team is here to benefit both your bottom line and your employees.
What are the benefits?
Improve Employee Recruitment & Retention
Increase job satisfaction by supplementing your existing benefits program. Improve recruitment, particularly among younger employees that seek transportation amenities.
Improve Corporate Sustainability
Prove your commitment to maintaining a green workplace.
Employees that use active transportation tend to be healthier, saving money on healthcare costs. Commuter tax benefits can also save employers money on FICA payroll taxes.
Reduce Parking Demand
Reduce parking demand by encouraging employees to share rides and opt for non-vehicle modes of transportation.
Receive National Recognition
Compete for elite designations like the Best Workplaces for Commuters, Bicycle Friendly Workplace, and LEED.
Foster a commuter-friendly workplace by encouraging employees to take advantage of more sustainable modes of transportation. In addition to mode-specific encouragement tactics, employers can implement company-wide strategies to target employees:
- Inform employees of the Alamo Commutes rewards program. Record your sustainable transportation trips on the Alamo Commutes app to earn unique discounts at local and national retailers and restaurants.
- Inform employees of the Alamo Commutes Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program. The Emergency Ride Home program reimburses alternative transportation commuters for their taxi/Uber/Lyft ride home.
- Provide information on sustainable commute options at new hire orientation, in the employee handbook, and the benefits guide. Invite Alamo Commutes staff to present at new hire orientation and open enrollment.
- Invite Alamo Commutes staff to present at employee Lunch & Learns, or to staff a table at an employee wellness fair. Alamo Commutes staff can also come to the work site to register employees for carpool matching and rewards.
- Subsidize costs of alternative transportation modes. Using commuter tax benefits, allow employees to take pre-tax deductions to pay for commute costs.
- Provide a commuter awards program that rewards employees that take alternative transportation. For example, employees may be recognized at staff meetings or given additional vacation time.